Honestly, I have made my own career path by fumbling through the modeling world and just learning along the way. The most important thing I would say is you don’t need to wait for a top agency to accept you in order to become a model. When I was 16, I was really excited about modeling. When I first got rejected from the top New York agencies, I assumed that path was permanently closed to me. It wasn’t until I was 24, when I was living in Jordan and started freelancing as a model there for local designers, that I realized there are 100 different pathways into this industry.
You should never feel that your fate rests with a few individuals who might have the power to tell you if you have “the look” or not. Obviously, working with a top agency is ideal if that is an option for you. If not, that should not stop you from modeling. I started modeling for local designers until I built up my portfolio. I would also go to castings for runway shows which even allowed me to walk during New York Fashion Week. Finally, after a year of working on my own, I was offered representation.
For models interested specifically in walking during the Cannes Film Festival, I would advise them to attend a casting held by Andres Aquino for New York Fashion Week. He holds castings for his New York shows but not for his Cannes ones. But if you can slip into New York, you can ask about attending Cannes.
I would also advise keeping an eye out for information about castings or fashion shows in Cannes starting in April or the beginning of May. Even if you don’t see a notice that is specifically about a casting, there is nothing wrong with contacting the organizer of a fashion show and asking if models are still needed. I have ended up on the runway more than once by simply reaching out and asking.
You’ll never guess who came to my blogging class! Lauren Chan, the Fashion Features Editor for GLAMOUR MAGAZINE! Not only does she work for Glamour Magazine, she is also a former plus-size model! I was so excited to meet her! I love how lively and down to earth she is. She just tells it as it is. When she mentioned to the class that magazines can look at different blogs for content, it really opened my eyes to how important blogging is.
Back in March, I decided to take a blogging class at FIT so that I could work on my blogging skills and meet other bloggers. I figured that it would be a great experience and I just wanted to surround myself with people also starting their own blogs. I never thought that we’d have a guest speaker from Glamour Magazine, let alone a former model.
I love that.
A lot of the models that I interview for New Style Modé have so many different interests. I’m so glad that Lauren is able to use her experience as a plus-size model and follow her dreams to write for fashion. Believe it or not Lauren actually writes about trendy plus-size fashion, models and body diversity! You go girl!
I decided to do a little bit of homework and read some of Lauren’s articles. Personally, I loved her article about the interview she had with supermodel & plus-size model Ashley Graham. It was a great interview where they talked about Ashley’s experience as a plus-size model and some of the challenges she faced. What spoke to me the most was that even though Ashley faced a lot of obstacles, she didn’t give up…she still pushed forward and followed her dreams. I won’t go into too much detail about the interview but if you’re interested, you should definitely read it. Please note that some of the content in the article is a bit mature. [Click here for the link to the article.]
It might be cliché to say but keep follow your dreams. Just look at Lauren. She started off as a plus-size model for Ford Models, she kept working on her dreams and now she is an editor at Glamour Magazine.
What are your dreams? Are you still following them? Tell me about them in the comments below! I’d love to hear them. 🙂
Instagram is one of my favorite social media platforms. Honestly, I love how simple and easy it is to use. Whether you are an aspiring model or a professional model, I think it is really important to have a stellar Instagram profile which reflects your image as a model.
Here are some tips & tricks I believe is the key to having the perfect Instagram:
1) Upload your modeling photos – Most of your posts should be of your work as a model. Don’t post pictures or videos of unrelated things on your Instagram page. You should post pictures that will enhance your image as a model. For example, post your latest photo shoot, not what you did last night.
2) Use a professional photo for your Profile Picture – Use your best head shot. Whether you have a professional head shot or even if you are just starting out and had your grandma take your head shot, make sure you look good.
3) Always give credit where it’s due – When posting a picture or video, make sure to give credit to the photographer. It could be as simple as tagging them in your post or adding them in your caption. You can also give credit to the designer, makeup artist or anyone else who contributed.
4) Be clear – Your Instagram reflects you. Be concise. It should tell other Instagrammers who you are. Always have your real name in the information section. You can also share your location and post direct a link to your website.
5) Engage with other Instagrammers – Be part of the conversation. Like, comment and follow other Instagram accounts that are part of the fashion world. Whether you follow your favorite designers or comment on other models’ photographs, remember to always support each other.